Friday, March 14, 2014

Don't Lose Faith in Gettleman Just Yet


I'll be honest, I was one of the first people bashing the Panthers' general manager, Dave Gettleman.

But looking on this situation right now, I feel bad for doing so.

Yes, I'm still upset about Steve Smith. And I will be upset for some time. But if Jerry Rice and Joe Montana can both eventually be traded, so can Smitty. No player stays with one team for his entire life, and Smith is no exception.

Here's a comment I posted on Facebook in response to some fellow fans criticizing Gettleman:

"Last season, Gettleman waited a few days before becoming active in free agency. He picked up a bunch of guys that people didn't think would have much of an impact. Nobody thought going into last season the Panthers would become contenders, and it is thanks to Gettleman last season that we did so. It's because of our last GM, Marty Hurney, that the team is in a bad spot financially. But Gettleman is doing all he can to build a Super Bowl team despite not having much money. Am I upset about Steve Smith? Absolutely. Could the situation have been handled better? Definitely. But to give up on our GM and our team... You aren't a true fan if you do that. Gettleman will build this team up, not for short term success but for long term. If it makes us mad, oh well. When we're holding the Lombardi Trophy in a few years, we'll be looking back and realizing Gettleman knows what he's doing."

Even right now, as I just discover that Hakeem Nicks has signed with the Indianapolis Colts, I defend Gettleman.

Gettleman knows what he is doing, so to my fellow fans: please don't lose faith just yet. The Super Bowl is not won in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment